5th Edition’s flanking optional rule grants advantage to Player Characters who are on opposite sides of a foe. We’ve previously focused on 5e flanking, including examining what feat(ures) it overlaps, how to manage it in relation to the tactical environments of your game, and some alternate suggestions for how to handle it (e.g. +2 attack, no flanking if flanked).
There’s another possibility we didn’t explore. While that’s not without reason, it does provide an interesting design exercise.
What if flanking gave a bonus to damage?
How to Do It?
There’s a few methods you could use to apply this idea:
- Add a flat damage bonus to a successful flanking attack.
- Add an extra weapon die to a successful flanking attack.
- Add a damage die to a successful flanking attack.
- Add scaling sneak attack dice to a successful flanking attack.
- Add extra damage dice for each flanking ally.
- Scaled by…
View original post 546 more words